What does a local church look like when the members are filled with the HOLY SPIRIT?
The answer is found in Acts 2:42-47.
1. SPIRIT-filled believers possessed a genuine desire to grow in their faith – to be discipled. “And they continued steadfastly in the apostes’ doctrine.”
2. SPIRIT-filled believers desired to develop their spiritual partnership with one another. “Fellowship” is koinonia, which means “joint-partnership.”
“And they continued steadfastly in …. fellowship.”
3. SPIRIT-filled believers illustrated their fellowship by obedience to the spiritual duty of “continued steadfastly in …the breaking of bread.” In other words, they observed and celebrated the LORD’s Supper together.
4. SPIRIT-filled believers made prayer a priority in their personal lives, as well as the life of the church. “They continued steadfastly …. In prayers.”
Group prayer was a natural overflow of their SPIRIT-filled lives.
5. SPIRIT-filled believers were in awe of the miraculous works GOD was performing through them. “Then awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.”
6. SPIRIT-filled believers enjoyed a wondrous, GOD-blessed unity. “Now all who believed were together and had all things in common.”
7. SPIRIT-filled believers possessed a sacrificial spirit. They focused on the needs of others rather than their own. “And sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.”
8. SPIRIT-filled believers went to the Temple daily to worship GOD, participate in the hours of prayer, and also to witness. “So, continuing daily with one accord in the Temple…”
9. SPIRIT-filled believers experienced supernatural joy in their faith and in their fellowship. “… and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart.” They loved partaking of the LORD’s Supper together, as well as eating together on a daily basis.
10.SPIRIT-filled believers spiritually reproduced. That is, the church was growing numerically as well. Verse 47 declares, “Praising GOD and having favor with all the people. And the LORD added to the church daily those who were being saved.”
As followers of JESUS, we should pray on a regular basis, “LORD, fill me with Your SPIRIT.” When members of a church family are filled with the HOLY SPIRIT, then that church will reflect the church in Jerusalem as described in Acts 2:42-47.
My prayer? LORD, revive us, Your people. Pour out your SPIRIT upon our lives. Fill us with Your SPIRIT. Lead us by Your SPIRIT. Work in and through our lives to accomplish Your will/desire through us!!