Matthew 1:21 is one of the most significant verses in the Bible. GOD unfolds His plan, as written down by Matthew: “She shall bring forth a Son, and you will call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.”
The birth of JESUS defies human reason and logic. Here are some examples:
· A king should be brought into the world by the most famous woman in society. Yet, JESUS was born to a young, unknown teenage girl in a small town.
· A king should be born in the most state of the art hospital. Yet, JESUS was born in a cave and placed in a feeding trough.
· A king should be born into the most prestigious family in the nation. Yet, JESUS was born into a common, unknown “peasant family.”
· A king should be born surrounded by the most famous citizens. Yet, JESUS was born surrounded by stable animals.
· A king’s birth should first be announced to the most important persons in the country. Yet, JESUS’ birth was announced to the “lowest of the low” in society, the shepherds.
· A king should be raised in the most renown of all cities. Yet, JESUS was raised in a “backwater” place called Nazareth, a town that was in the least desirable part of Judea. As a matter of fact, when Nathanael was told that JESUS was from Nazareth, he asked, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” (John 1:46).
This king’s name will be JESUS. The name JESUS describes both His character and His mission. Look at these verses that emphasize the name of JESUS:
Therefore, GOD has highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name.
But these are written so that you may believe that JESUS is the CHRIST, the Son of GOD, and that by believing you may have life in His name.
Neither is their salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.
Matthew 1:21c: “For He will save His people from their sins.”
“Save” means to “rescue” or “deliver.” Here, Matthew writes that JESUS will rescue or deliver people from the worst of all dangers, eternal separation from GOD because of their sin.
JESUS came to save people from their “sins.” Each and every sin, whether it be thought, word, or deed. Each and every sin that causes people to miss the mark established by GOD’s law. These “sins” destroy people, both body and soul, for time and for eternity.
Only one person in recorded history possessed the power to affect such a rescue or deliverance. It was the One who was conceived by the HOLY SPIRIT in the womb of a peasant girl by the name of Mary.
Hence, we celebrate Christmas, not only because of the birth of JESUS, but also because of the mission of JESUS, and because of the deliverance JESUS provided for us from our sins and eternal punishment as a result of His death, burial and resurrection.